Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Weeks 15 and 16

Weeks 15 and 16 were all about travel! We left for Miami so we could get to Cuba for a week!

Almost everyone has asked, "why Cuba?" Well for us, it really came down to Cuba being better suited for a pregnant woman. Sounds crazy that an underdeveloped, Communist country would be better than beautiful Italy!

Last fall we decided we would go to Italy in the spring. Brian really wanted to go, and I was on board even though I had been there, for the wine! But then we started talking about starting a family. December came, and we had to make a decision on the travel destination.

December is when the U.S. announced they were resuming talks with Cuba, and that they were working to loosen the travel restrictions and a few other laws. Brian and I decided we wanted to see Cuba before the U.S. had too muh inflence over Cuba, and change things.

So we booked the trip! 

I felt really good during the whole trip. I wore compression socks on the plane to help with clots and circulation. Besides having to use the bathroom at least once on each leg, flying was easy. None of the food bothered me (Cuban food was bland, and we avoided eating any fresh veggies because they might have bacteria from the water). The only thing that really, really got me were the damn beds! I slept horribly the entire time. I woke up several times a night with the worst hip pain. My hips were too much a pressure point on the very very firm surface.

I was concerend about what to wear on the trip, as I wasn't sure what size I would be. But I took all my stretchy skirts and two maternity shorts and did just fine. The maternity shorts were still big, but they were comfortable.

I guess the other downside was my swollen feet! Between all the walking, the hot weather, and not knowing where the next bathroom was therefore not consuming enough water...I retained water!

I did splurge once in Cuba, and drank an entire alcoholic beverage. We happened on El Floridita in Havana, which is a famous bar that Hemingway visited often. It opened in 1817! They are well known for their Daquiris, so I had one! This was the very first time alcohol had passed my lips since January 4th. 

We enjoyed every minute of our last child-less vacation!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment